Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Beer Man Movie Review - "The Iceman" (2013)

        A film based on the true story of Richard Kuklinski, a notorious contract killer and family man. When finally arrested in 1986, neither his wife nor daughters have any clue about his real profession.  Directed by Ariel Vromen, and starring Michael Shannon, Winona Ryder, Chris Evans and Ray Liotta.  The acting in this movie is fantastic, amazing and superb... and I'm not at Disney World.  (Readers please listen for the Disney reference if you choose to watch this film.)  Michael Shannon depicts his character perfectly as he IS the iceman, the character and the actor. Winona Ryder plays her part well. She makes you believe what her character stands for and compels you to connect with her role for what her character's placement in this film is.  Chris Evans, of Captain America fame, proves that he can play a character other than a super hero, nice job.  Do you think Ray Liotta can play a tough guy gangster? Well yeah, he's done it before and he does it again.  David Schwimmer also does a nice job in this film. No this isn't a "Friends" episode and he was in the film for a while before I realized it was him, but I was pleasantly surprised.  There are also two great cameo performances in this movie, I'll give you clues of who the actors are.  One of them was in Spring Breakers and the other was in Blade.

     This film grabs you at the beginning and keeps you in a close grip the entire film. There are a few slow moments but the acting makes up for it.  There are also a few plot lines that I didn't get the answer to but with the intense action and great acting I can let it go.  If you love a gangster/mafia/crime/hitman film go out there and grab this one.  The violence is intense. The language is a little explicit but I didn't find it extreme.  This is a film that convinces you to root for a guy you know is a bad but also shows you how crazy this world is and that some people just want a simple family life.  Two memorable quotes for me from the film are "I have no regrets for anything I've done except for hurting my family" and "I feel nothing".

     This is not a date movie,  nor a movie you would watch with your grandparents.  It's also neither a film for kids nor a movie you would watch with your in- laws.  This is a movie with intense acting and violence.  If you're in for a great story and great action film this is a movie for you.  I am going to recommend a beer for each movie I review, but with this movie I have to think outside the can.  I recommend a fifth of Jack Daniels for this film.  I give this movie 3 1/2 beer cans. Check it out and let me know what you think.  This is The Beer Man signing out. Enjoy movies and enjoy life. Thanks for reading.

Justin "The Beer Man" Bryan



No comments:

Post a Comment