Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Beer Man Movie Review - "Jack Ryan: The Shadow Recruit" (2014) **

     Jack Ryan, as a young covert CIA analyst, uncovers a Russian plot to crash the U.S. economy with a terrorist attack.  This film is 105 minutes, converted that is 1 hour and 45 minutes.  It was directed by Kenneth Branagh and stars Chris Pine, Kevin Costner, Keira Knightley, and Kenneth Branagh. 

     This film grabs you at the beginning and you feel totally connected and invested in the Jack Ryan (Pine) character.  Kevin Costner, as Thomas Harper, controls each moment that he is on screen.  The acting was superb in this movie, although I feel this was a lesser part for Keira Knightley.  She is an amazing actress and I believe her acting abilities weren't fully utilized in this film.  There are some intense action scenes in this film and at times I felt really connected but the story line to me was insufficient.  The evil plot of the end of the world was believable, but at times it became mundane.  It felt like this film couldn't find what it really wanted to be.  At times it seemed like it wanted to be the Patriot Games or Mission Impossible but just didn't hold up.  There were times in the movie that I wanted to check the time on my watch but I don't wear a watch.  There were a few scenes where I was totally captivated but there were also a lot of scenes where I was yawning.

     I went to see this movie with my family.  I'm a family of 4, 3 girls and 1 guy, they loved this film, me not so much.  I just accredit that to them enjoying the fact that they get to see heartthrob Chris Pine on the screen for an hour and 45 minutes.  I would not recommend this film for young kids but would recommend it for ages 13 and up, at parents discretion, because of the intense action scenes.  The acting in the film is great, each actor played their parts well, especially Costner. With that said the plot holes and slow scenes couldn't save this film for me.  Beer recommendation for this film is Samuel Adams lager because this is a very patriotic film.  If you're in for a decent action film, very fast paced at times and good acting, check it out.  The Beer Man gives this film 2 beer cans. It's not a bad film but it's not that memorable.  As always drink more beer, watch more movies and be kind.  Thanks for reading.

Justin "The Beer Man" Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment