Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Beer Man Movie Review - "Stoker" (2013) **

     After India's father dies, her Uncle Charlie, who she never knew existed, comes to live with her and her unstable mother. She comes to suspect this mysterious, charming man has ulterior motives and becomes increasingly infatuated with him.

    I'm just going to be honest this is a tough film for me to review.  I went into this film sorta blind I had heard film critics mention it and review it but really didn't know what to expect.  This film was directed by Chan-wook Park and stars , ,  and exasperates for 99 minutes.  It's listed as a Drama/Mystery/Thriller but I would list it as a put on your seatbelt and take some valium movie.  (The beer man does not endorse the usage of valium or a seatbelt made of hemp unless prescribed by a Doctor).  I'm not a horror film fan but try to keep my mind open to any type of film and give every film a chance.  I've been pleasantly surprised by such films as Cabin in the Woods and The Others, which this film reminds me of.

     The imagery and scenery and camera placement in this film was very impressive.  The acting was amazing to me, each actor in this film no matter how big the role, delivered, the story just sent me up and down the stairs literally.  There were many scenes that involved stairs and the importance of being high or low on the stairs.  There were times in this film you believe you're watching a coming of age film, then you're watching a mystery film and trying to figure out the perpetrator, then you're watching a horror film.

     I'm giving this film 2 beer cans and I'm actually hesitant about this rating.  I believe horror film buffs may truly adore this film but this type of film doesn't appeal to me but there were so many great factors in this film that did grasp my interest.  There is no beer in this film but that doesn't mean I'm not going to recommend a beer.  Wait for it, wait for it, sorry I made you wait so long.  Nicole Kidman does a great acting job in this film, and she's Australian, so I recommend Fosters, it's Australian for beer.  I don't think this is a bad film I believe if you like horror/psychological films you may enjoy it. As always drink more beer, watch more movies, and always be kind.  Thanks for reading.

Justin "The Beer Man" Bryan

                              

No comments:

Post a Comment