Saturday, January 18, 2014

Mickster Movie Review - "Short Term 12" (2013) ****1/2

     Short Term 12 is one of those films that is going to sneak by 95% of the people unnoticed, and that is unfortunate. This is a fabulous film that begs to be seen by everyone, especially if you have ever worked with troubled kids, or have been involved in a children's foster program. I do not fit in either of these categories, so I can't speak to the authenticity of the film, but for the most part it "felt" very real and genuine to me. The film clocks in at just over and hour and a half, but this is the type of film I wanted to see more of. I wished it was 3 hours long. I connected with most of the characters here and I was surprised to find myself nearly moved to tears on several different occasions...alright, there was at least one time I definitely had to wipe the tears away. I can't help it.

     The story focuses on a young, twenty-something counselor named Grace (Brie Larson), who works at a small foster care facility which houses at-risk teenagers. Grace has a tremendous gift because of the poise and control she has in this situation, which would break many lesser people. It's obvious it takes a special kind of person to work with children like this, and Grace is definitely one of those individuals. Mason (John Gallagher Jr.), who also fits the description, works at the facility as well and is involved in a relationship with Grace. He is amazed by her ability to work with the children, but he also senses something from Grace's past that she is holding onto, and he works at encouraging her to open up. Grace is able to keep her secrets to herself, but when a new teen, Jayden (Kaitlyn Dever), arrives with similar emotional issues, Grace must confront her own past in order to help out the troubled teen.

     Since it's completely character-driven, a movie like this is only going to be as strong as its acting. Director Destin Cretton hit a homerun in that regard. I'm not very familiar with any of these actors, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on some of them. Brie Larson was an absolute joy to watch in the lead role, and it's a crime that she is getting no recognition during awards season. John Gallagher Jr. is equally as talented in this film. His character is fabulous opposite Grace and I found myself really rooting for them as a couple. That's the problem with so many romances in movies today, you just don't care about what happens to the characters. Here, I was actually rooting for Grace and Mason, almost as if they were real. They go through struggles throughout the film, but when they get some good news late, I couldn't help but weep for them. You really want these two to succeed.

     While the two main leads are great, I was shocked by the acting performed by some of the teens in the foster care facility. Kaitlyn Dever is wonderful as the troubled Jayden. The movie really relies on her character to work and she nails it. Dever has done previous work and it shows that she has some good training in her background. The same can't be said for Keith Stanfield. This is the first film for Stanfield, who plays a troubled black teen named Marcus. Marcus is the oldest child in the facility, at 17, and a lot of the other kids look up to him, though he is quiet and reserved. One of the best scenes in the film is when Marcus and Mason are in Marcus' room performing a rap that Marcus has written. It is about his life and how he was abandoned, and while the lyrics are foul, the words are very meaningful and it when it is over, you have to just be quiet and reflect on it a second. It's a very powerful scene.

     I can't recommend Short Term 12 enough. I really struggled with giving it a full 5 stars. If it holds up on a 2nd viewing, I may have no choice but to go the full 5 on it. It's that good. It is a pure drama. If you're one of those that needs action, explosions, a lot of comedy...this won't be for you. It's strictly a character-based drama but it's one of the best ones to come around in a while. Most people will not have ever heard of this film, but if this review makes you seek it out, I will have done my job. This movie deserves to be seen by a wide audience. Bravo.

Mickster

No comments:

Post a Comment