Monday, February 10, 2014

Mickster Movie Review - "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" (2013) *

     This movie really should not have used the word "incredible" in the title. That makes it a form of false advertisement. I'm going to spend very little time on this movie. It's not worth putting a lot of thought into. Steve Carell is the title character who teaches himself magic at an early age. He partners up with another kid from school, played by Steve Buscemi as an adult, and the two become one of the top magic acts in the country, ultimately getting their own show in Vegas. However, their act starts to become stale, and a new street magician (Jim Carrey), in the style of David Blaine or Criss Angel, becomes the next big thing and threatens to put them out of business. Wonderstone must go back and figure out why he loves magic in the first place in order to regain his status.

     I'm being generous giving this film just one star. There was almost no substance here at all. I guess a couple of times I chuckled a bit but that was it. I don't ask too much of comedies, just make me laugh. This film did not accomplish that goal. I'm a big fan of all three of the main stars but this feels like a mailed-in performance from each and will be easily forgotten. You can safely skip this one.

1 comment:

  1. I would just like to say that the views of Mickster in no way reflect the views of the other reviewers on this site! I thought this movie was pretty damn clever. How can you not laugh anytime they play "Abracadabra?" Plus, you don't even mention Alan Arkin (who is awesome in EVERYTHING) and Olivia Wilde (who is smokin' hot in everything...even the less-than-stellar Cowboys vs. Aliens).

    ReplyDelete