Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Beer Man Movie Review-"Inside Llewyn Davis" 2013**1/2

     A week in the life of a young singer as he navigates the Greenwich Village folk scene of 1961.  This film stars Oscar Issac, Carey Mulligan and John Goodman.  This film was written and directed by Ethan and Joel Coen.  I was very excited about this film.  It enthralls the very like and dislike fascination I have with the Coen brothers.  I dislike "No Country For Old Men", "O Brother Where Art Thou" and "Fargo", but I love "The Hudsucker Proxy", "Raising Arizona" and "The Big Lebowski", which is in my top 5 greatest movies of all time.  "Inside Llewyn Davis" falls between these two categories for me.

     Let me make this statement and no I'm not ashamed of it "I love folk music".  There are a lot of great scenes in this movie of folk music at it's purest.  The songs in this movie are great and the actors/musicians deliver them well.  The movie does a great job of putting you in the music scene at the time.  This film develops some amazing characters which I believe the Coen brothers are experts at pulling off.  This is where my criticisms for this film begin.  I'm so captivated by the music and the characters and just wanting to see where they will all take us.  Well I'm left wandering what happens to so many side stories I'm so amazingly introduced to.  There are amazing twists in the film that I can't disregard but I was left wanting.

     I would not recommend this film for families but for anyone that appreciates how much folk music has influenced musicians over the years and how much they had to sacrifice.  The drink I would recommend for this film would be a white Russian, that's a respectful homage to the Coen Brothers and Walter Sobchack.  I give this film 2 and 1/2 beer cans.  This is not a bad film at all, I was just left wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment